Frequently Asked Questions about Invisalign
1. What is Invisalign?
Invisalign system is a series of custom-made plastic aligners which straighten teeth by incremental teeth movements. They are virtually invisible, made of a clear, non-toxic, BPA-free (Bisphenol A), thermoplastic material totally compatible with your mouth tissues. Invisalign uses advanced 3D computer imaging technology to show your complete treatment plan, from your current teeth position to the final desired position. This means you are able to see how your smile is going to look like at the end of treatment even before starting wearing your aligners.
2. What are the benefits of using Invisalign?
- Invisalign treatment is fast and accurate.
- It uses a virtual treatment plan enabling you to see how your smile is going to look like at the end of treatment.
There are multiple benefits of using Invisalign aligners:
- Invisalign aligners are virtually invisible. They do not affect your aesthetics and lifestyle.
- They are made of a soft, thermoplastic, bio-compatible plastic which is very comfortable to use.
- They are free of any metal brackets or wire which irritate your gums.
- They are removable. You can remove them when eating, brushing and flossing.
- They do not interfere with your oral hygiene practices.
3. How does Invisalign work?
The treatment process involves taking an impression of the patient’s teeth and scanning them to get a 3-dimensional computerized model. A software application is then used to show how teeth should be moved in increments between the current and the desired positions. This 3D computer projection is used as a basis for developing custom-made aligners using computer-aided design/computer-aided manufacturing (CAD/CAM) techniques.
4. Is this a new technology to straighten teeth?
Yes, it is a relatively new orthodontic technology to straighten teeth. In 1945, an American orthodontist Dr. H.D. Kesling envisioned that one day modern technology would be able to bring about teeth movements which are required for a comprehensive orthodontic treatment. Align Technologies made this vision come true by introducing Invisalign in 1997.
5. Are there any aesthetic concerns?
No, there are no aesthetic concerns because these aligners are virtually invisible.
6. How do I know if I am a suitable candidate for Invisalign or not?
A visit to our practice and having a dental examination are the best ways to find out whether Invisalign is right for you. Dr. Le will conduct a brief suitability assessment and answer your queries regarding Invisalign.
7. What problems can Invisalign correct?
Invisalign can effectively correct mild to moderate orthodontic problems such as crowding, spacing, deep bite/over bite, under bite, crossbite and mild relapse after removing conventional metal braces.
8. Will it work for me?
Invisalign is what you have been looking for if you have
- Crowded teeth: Crowding is the condition in which there is a lack of enough space in the jaws for all the teeth to fit comfortably. Crowding of 1 to 5 millimeters can be corrected by using Invisalign.
- Spaced teeth: This is when there is excess space in the jaws leading to wide gaps between teeth.
- Crossbite: Crossbite is a form of malocclusion in which the normal relationship between the upper and lower teeth is reversed and lower teeth extend outer to the upper teeth.
- Deep bite: Deep bite is a type of malocclusion in which there is an increased vertical overlap between the upper and lower teeth.
- Mild relapse after the removal of conventional braces.
9. Will I experience any pain with these aligners?
No, Invisalign aligners are not painful. You may experience an initial mild discomfort which usually goes away in a couple of days.
10. Will these aligners affect my speech and lifestyle?
Invisalign aligners may affect the quality of speech temporarily for some days. Any lisp or speech defect disappears as you get used to wearing these aligners. It affects your speech for just 2 to 3 days.
11. How long does treatment take?
The time taken by Invisalign aligners to straighten teeth varies from person to person depending upon complexity of the problem. Average time taken by these aligners to move teeth to desired position is 13 to 14 months.
12. How often do I need to have appointments?
You do not need too many appointments. We call you every 4 to 6 weeks to check treatment progress.
13. What happens in the initial consultation?
The initial consultation lasts around 30 to 50 minutes. During your initial consultation, Dr. Le will examine your teeth, bite and smile line. Your aesthetic demands and treatment goals will be discussed with you. We will be able to determine if you are a candidate for Invisalign depending on your expectations and nature of the case. Some more steps that are involved during your initial consultation visit to remove any ambiguity regarding Invisalign treatment are
- An overview of the Invisalign system.
- Review of similar cases, before and after pictures.
- Presentation of treatment fees, insurance benefits if applicable and financing options.
- X-rays, digital photographs and impressions of your teeth and gums.
14. What are Invisalign aligners made of?
Invisalign aligners are made of clear, non-toxic, BPA-free (Bisphenol A), thermoplastic material which is proven to be safe for oral tissues.
15. What do the aligners look like?
Invisalign aligners are virtually invisible; hence many orthodontists refer to them as “contact lenses for teeth”. They resemble an athletic mouthguard.
16. How many patients have used Invisalign so far?
Over 2 million patients worldwide have been treated successfully with Invisalign.
17. How much does Invisalign cost?
For the typical treatment course, the cost of Invisalign is comparable to traditional braces. Various treatment prices are determined by your individual needs. Average costs for Invisalign can differ from as little as $3,500 to $8,000. If your teeth only need small improvements, prices can begin even lower, from $750 for clear aligners.
18. How do I get started?
If you believe you are a candidate for Invisalign, book an appointment now for your FREE initial consultation with Dr. Le. Our contact numbers are (02) 9476 6731 and (02) 9868 3037. Simply give us a call and we will take care of the rest!
19. Are there any diet restrictions during treatment?
No, there are no diet restrictions. You can remove the aligners and eat whatever you want.
20. How can I clean my aligners?
The best way to cleaning aligners is brushing them and rinsing with lukewarm water. Aligner cleansing kits can also be recommended by your orthodontist.
21. Can I hurt my gums and cheeks while inserting and removing the aligner trays?
No, we will properly instruct you on insertion and removal of the trays from your mouth. The aligner trays are made of a comfortable and non-toxic plastic. They do not have any sharp edges or corners.
22. Can I eat or drink anything with the aligners still on?
No, avoid eating and drinking with the aligners on. Of course you can always have a glass of water.
23. Can I smoke with the aligners on?
No, smoking while wearing aligners is not a good idea as it may stain your aligners and compromise the success of treatment.
24. How often must I wear my aligners?
You must wear aligners for 20 to 22 hours each day to achieve fast and accurate results.
25. How can I prevent my teeth from moving back after the completion of treatment?
Your orthodontist may recommend wearing Vivera retainers for some time once the Invisalign treatment is completed successfully. Vivera retainers are also custom-made using the same technology as Invisalign. They are proven to be effective in preventing relapse after completing an Invisalign treatment course.